Follow Me on Pinterest

Instagram

Polka Dot Rosie

Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Naughty or Nice In Bloom--Watercolor with embossing

Hi everyone :)

This month's Naughty or Nice Challenge is taking off and the theme is "In Bloom".  Before getting into the headache this card caused me, I must say that the final product is gorgeous and I love it. I don't think the picture captured how beautiful it really is...


Now...about the headache. 

This card was initially like one of those Pinterest Fails.  I had an idea in my head of what I wanted to do:  watercolor with embossed flowers. The big questions were whether or not I should emboss them in white or black, and what flowers to use.  I did the watercolor and was so happy with how it turned out.  It was beautiful and I wish I would have taken a picture of it before I added anything else, but I didn't expect what would happen next to happen LOL

Stamping these flowers was a nightmare.  The first went on great, the second pretty darn good, but the third just didn't work out well.  I tried masking two of the flowers before laying the third, but some of the image didn't stamp,  so I just wiped the embossing powder away (several times), used my powder tool, re-stamped and sprinkled the embossing powder on (several times). The leaves seemed to line up funny and I had to repeat the process a few times with them. Folks, there's only so much wiping off of embossing powder and re-sprinkling of embossing powder that can be done LOL It was NOT cooperating at all and my beautiful vision was quickly unraveling.

So, I decided that it was what it was and considering covering the flawed parts with a ribbon or a banner, but decided to use one of my favorite tricks when it comes to minor mishaps that nothing else will disguise--VELLUM! I love vellum. It's delicate and beautiful and feminine, and as a bonus, it covers up minor mistakes.  I'm sure these mistakes were much more obvious to me since I made the card, but I still wanted to cover it up. So I did. And I really love it :)

I used acetate to create the watercolor effect and made sure to dry the paper with my heat tool before changing colors, just to make sure they didn't muddy.  After it was all dry, I did the stamping and embossing, then covered it with vellum.  I added the double loop bow at the end using my Bow-It-All v. 2.0 tool. I absolutely love this tool! The bows it creates are just so perfect.  

That's about it for me today! Thanks for stopping by. Head on over NON to join us in the challenge and to see what my fab teammates came up with.

Supplies:
Neenah Solar White Cardstock
Distress Inks (Picked Raspberry, Salty Ocean, Squeezed Lemonade)
Stampin' Up Summer Solstice
Bow It All v. 2.0
Ribbon from stash
Strathmore Watercolor Paper

I'd like to submit my card into the following challenges and themes:
My Creative Moments #5--"Colorful Creations"
Clear It Out--"2 or More Thing You're Hoarding"
Artistic Inspirations #128--"Anything Goes with a Twist of Flowers"



9 comments:

  1. Loved this card from the moment I saw it on the NON draft post! If you'd have said 'everything went exactly to plan...' I'd have believed you! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet!! Thank you :) LOL it was such a headache, but worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card! Thanks for joining in at Dazzling Diva Challenge!
    Martha Lucia, DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty card! Thanks for sharing at CIO this week. Lisa DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card in the Dazzling Diva Challenge. We look forward to seeing more of your beautiful designs in upcoming challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your card turned out beautifully, sorry it caused you so much trouble to make! I love the watercolored background, and the embossed flowers look flawless to me. Something that I do when something like this just doesn't work out, is just stamp the flowers on a separate paper, fussy cut them and adhere them to the card on top of the other flowers.

    Thank you so much for playing along in my Monday Morning "Colorful Creations" challenge!
    xEllie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie! It wasn't cooperating, but it turned out great, so I'm happy :) It turned out to be a beautiful disaster LOL Also, thank you for the crafty tip! I'll try that next time.

      Delete
  7. This is so wonderful card! Thank you for joining in Card Mania Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. Would like to see it in real life if you say it is more beautiful because it looks great in the picture.

    ReplyDelete

No need to be shy! I love getting comments and appreciate every one :)